Site Updated: 12/10/2018
Here's your chance to come find
the state gemstone of California, Benitoite
-Only Open Via Reservation-
-Please Make Your Reservation 2-3 Days in Advance-
For Reservations Please Call
Looking to buy a gemstone or specimen?
We have new inventory!
Check out our Items for Sale
-Please bring clear safety glasses-
-We are closed to the public on weekdays-
-We are only accepting reservations for weekends-
-Please make your reservation at least 2-3 days in advance-
- $70 per person
- Kids 12 and younger, only $20
- Seniors 70 and over with proof of current Rockhound Membership from any Federation Club is half price, $35
- No group discounts
- Please make your reservation first before making your payment.
- Bring your receipt showing proof of payment.
- PayPal payment is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation.
Open by reservation only
- We are only accepting reservations for Saturdays and Sundays.
- We are closed to the public on weekdays.
- Please make your reservation at least 2-3 days in advance.
- On your reserved day we will be open from 9AM to 3PM.
Reservations must be made via a phone call: (559) 287-4096
- Stay in the immediate area between the screening field and parking lot.
- Do not go into buildings unless permission is granted.
- No rock hammers.
- No pets.
- You are allowed to take home one quart sized ziplock bag of finds per person.
- If you find something too large for your ziplock bag and would like to purchase it, we will negotiate a price.
- Kids can play freely, but please keep them close.
- Screens, water to wash material, washing tables, and a quart sized bag.
- UV dark room to look through your material.
- Employees there to demonstrate, assist, and identify your finds.
- Clear safety glasses for the blacklight room.
- Your lunches, drinks, and lawn chairs.
- Bring a pop-up shade if you need it, and rubber gloves if you need them.
The Historic Old Road Camp
48242 Los Gatos Rd. Coalinga, CA 93210
1) From the westernmost stoplight in Coalinga, head west on Polk/Jayne Avenue for one mile.
2) Polk/Jayne Avenue will make a large sweeping turn to the right, becoming Derrick Avenue. Follow Derrick Avenue for three miles.
3) Turn left on Los Gatos Road, continue west exactly fifteen miles. Turn in just before the white buffalo on the right-hand side and you're there!
The white buffalo in our parking lot is the best landmark to look for.
A map can be found here.
Best Western and Harris Ranch located 10 miles East of Coalinga at the junction of I-5 and 198.
Gas, groceries, and restaurants are available in the town of Coalinga.