Site Updated: 3/30/2015
Here's your chance to come find the California State Gemstone Benitoite!
For Reservations Please Call
Looking to buy a gemstone or specimen?
Check out Sale Items
2/6/15 - We are currently only accepting reservations on weekends.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
$70 per person
-Please call at least 2-3 days in advance to make your reservation-
-Please bring clear safety glasses-
-Please bring a change of clothes as you will be getting muddy-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kids 12 and younger, only $20
Discount for seniors 70 and over with proof of current Rockhound Membership from any Federation Club, 1/2 price ($35)
No group discounts
Please call and make your reservation first before making your payment.
Bring your receipt showing proof of payment.
PayPal payment is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation.
Open by reservation only
Reservations must be made via a phone call.
Park in the parking lot next to the white buffalo.
On your reserved day we will be open from 9AM to 3PM.
The Historic Old Road Camp
48242 Los Gatos Rd. Coalinga, CA 93210
1. From the westernmost stoplight in Coalinga, head west on Polk/Jayne Ave one mile.
2. Polk/Jayne makes a large sweeping turn to the right, turing into Derrick. Follow Derrick for three miles.
3. Turn left on Los Gatos Rd, continue west exactly fifteen miles. Turn in just before the white buffalo on the right-hand side and your there!
A map can be found here.
The only place available in Coalinga is the Baker House Bed & Breakfast (559)934-1900
Best Western located 10 miles East of Coalinga at the junction of I-5 and 198
Harris Ranch located 10 miles East of Coalinga at the junction of I-5 and 198.
Gas, groceries, and restaurants are available in the town of Coalinga.
Don't forget to stop at one of the best small town museums in the state, Baker Museum in Coalinga, 297 West Elm Ave. They have a great benitoite specimen on display.
For a good place to get steaks and spirits, we recommend the Mountain Oyster Saloon, located next to the R & N Market on Elm Street.
- Screens, tables, buckets, water, and a quart sized ziplock bag.
- A UV dark room to look through your washed material.
- Employees there to assist, demonstrate, and identify your finds.
Clear safety glasses for the blacklight room. Bring your lunches, drinks, and lawn chairs, A pop-up shade if you need it, rubber gloves if you need them.
- Stay in the immediate area between the screening pile and parking lot.
- Do not go into buildings unless permission is granted.
- No rock hammers.
- You are allowed to take home one quart sized ziplock bag of finds per person.
- If you find something too large for your ziplock bag and would like to purchase, we will negotiate a price.
- Kids can play freely, but please keep them close.
- Pets are welcome, keep them on a leash please.