For Reservations Call (559)-287-4096
Please leave a Voice Mail
Winter Schedule 9/22/13 Update- ALL screening will require a reservation after October, 4th 2013.
All reservations require a phone call for confirmation.
9/22/13 Update- Opening time has changed to 9AM
9/5/13 Update- Now accepting credit cards
4/24/13 Update- Benitoite screening on weekdays now available! Reservations required
- Please contact us via phone or email for reservations -
- Please provide confirmation phone call one week before reservation date -
Open for Benitoite Screening at the Old Road Camp
We are hauling material out of the mine and making it available for screening
Here's your chance to come and find the California State Gemstone "Benitoite" one of the rarest and most valuable gemstones in the world!
- Please bring clear safety glasses
- Please bring a change of clothes as you will be getting muddy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
$70 per person
Kids 12 and under, only $20
Discount for seniors 70 and over with proof of current Rockhound Membership from any Federation Club, 1/2 price ($35)
No group discounts
Pay Now or When You Come -
Bring your receipt showing proof of payment.
PayPal payment is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation.
Dry camping is available at Los Gatos Creek County Park, 1 1/2 miles East of the Road Camp.
The only place available in Coalinga is the Baker House Bed & Breakfast (559)934-1900
Best Western located 10 miles East of Coalinga at the junction of I-5 and 198
Harris Ranch located 10 miles East of Coalinga at the junction of I-5 and 198.
Gas, groceries, and restaurants are available in the town of Coalinga.
Don't forget to stop at one of the best small town museums in the state, Baker Museum in Coalinga, 297 West Elm Ave. They have a great Benitoite specimen on display.
For a good place to get steaks and spirits, we recommend the Mountain Oyster Saloon, located next to the R & N Market on Elm Street.
Reservations must be made via a phone call.
Sign-in and Demonstration Time:
The historic old road camp
48242 Los Gatos Rd. Coalinga, CA 93210.
From the westernmost stoplight in Coalinga, head west on Polk/Jayne Ave 1 mile.
Polk/Jayne make a large sweeping turn to the right, turing into Derrick. Follow Derrick for 3 miles.
Turn left on Los Gatos Rd, continue west exactly 15 miles. Turn in just before the white buffalo on the right-hand side and your there!
Plenty of parking in the parking lot with the white buffalo. No off road vehicles needed.
- Screens, tables, buckets, water, and a quart sized ziplock bag.
- A UV dark room to look through your washed material.
- Employees there to assist, demonstrate, and identify your finds.
- A flush toilet restroom.
You Need to Supply:
Clear safety glasses for the blacklight room. Bring your lunches, drinks, and lawn chairs, A pop-up shade if you need it, rubber gloves if you need them.
Rules of the Hunt:
- Stay in the immediate area between the screening pile and parking lot.
- Do not go into buildings unless permission is granted.
- You are allowed to take home a quart sized ziplock bag full of finds.
- If you find something too large for your ziplock bag and would like to purchase, we will negotiate a price.
- Kids are allowed to play freely, please keep them close.
- Pets are welcome, keep them on a leash please.
Park in the parking lot next to the white buffalo.
We'll sign you in at 9:00 AM in the office.